The Canada West Ski Areas Association believes that deserving young Ski and Snowboard athletes should be given all the support possible to reach their goal to one day represent Canada in Olympic Games, World Championships or World Cups. For this reason CWSAA created the ALL AREAS COMPETITORS PASS to facilitate eligible athletes access to western Canada's Ski and Snowboard Resorts for the purpose of training and competition. All athletes must understand that the use of the competitors pass is a privilege that carries with it the responsibility to represent their respective Sports Discipline in a sportsman-like fashion showing leadership to their fellow athletes.
Who will qualify for a pass in the 2013/2014 season?
1. Competitors belonging to an ACCREDITED NATIONAL SPORTS BODY in a CWSAA Province, promoting the sports of Alpine Ski Racing, Ski Cross, Freestyle Ski Competitions and Snowboard Competitions. ACCREDITED means the sports body is representing Canada in Olympic, World Championship and World Cup Competitions.
2. All athletes must be must be actively training and competing in disciplines that are part of the Olympic Games, World Championships and World Cups.
3. All athletes must meet the following age eligibility rules for 2013/2014
- Alpine Skiing athletes and Ski Cross born between 1993 and 1997 or in 1991 or 1992 with a letter from their National Sports Organization*.
- Freestyle Skiing athletes not including Ski Cross born between 1994 and 1998 or in 1992 or 1993 with a letter from their National Sports Organization*.
- Snowboard athletes in Alpine, Snowboard Cross and Big Air born between 1994 and 1998 or in 1992 or 1993 with a letter from their National Sports Organization*.
- Snowboard athletes in Half Pipe and Slopestyle born between 1994 and 2000 or in 1992 or 1993 with a letter from their National Sports Organization*.
*Special consideration may be given to athletes 2 years over the base age range with a letter from their respective National Sports Organization confirming that the athlete is under serious consideration for nomination to their National Team in the upcoming competition year.
4. Carded members of the Canadian Disabled Alpine Ski Team who are permanent residents in one of the Provinces that are part of CWSAA.
5. Travelling Provincial and Club Coaches or Provincial Team Managers may also qualify.
Additional Guidelines to be considered for Qualification
1. Athletes must be full members of a Ski Racing, Ski Cross, Freestyle or Snowboard Club in one of the CWSAA Provinces.
2. All athletes must be FIS points holders, or have applied for FIS registration at the start of the competition year.
3. Athletes belonging to a Club or attending a Sports Academy or National Sports School located in one of the CWSAA Provinces, but not normally residing in one of those Provinces are eligible to receive a Competitors Pass from the quota of the Province in which they are training and competing.
4. Coaches' passes will generally be issued to coaches of Teams or Clubs that have competitors competing in FIS level events first, followed by Provincial or Regional Junior Series. Coaches' passes are taken from the total provincial quota, therefore they should be held to the absolute minimum.
5. CWSAA PROVINCES include: British Columbia, Yukon, Alberta, Saskatchewan, The Northwest Territories and Manitoba.
6. Ski Cross athletes who are eligible for a CWSAA Competitors pass will be the responsibility of their respective Provincial Alpine Ski Association's quota.
7. Developing sports organizations who do not currently field eligible athletes may apply for special consideration for Competitor Passes by providing a written submission to the Chairman of the CWSAA Competitor Pass Committee including their athlete development plan and reasons why their athletes will require Canada West access to ski areas.
Pass Distribution to Provincial Sports Associations
The distribution of the competitors' passes is based solely on the number of FIS registered athletes born between 1993 and 1997 for Alpine Skiing and Ski Cross and between 1994 and 1998 for other Freestyle and all Snowboard disciplines.
All Provincial Sports Associations should submit their Competitor Pass Applications along with a list of FIS registered athletes including each athlete's FIS points (where applicable) and date of birth to the CWSAA office no later than August 23rd 2013.
Each provincial discipline will get their percentage of passes based on eligible requests submitted by all Provincial Sports Organizations and out of the total number of passes approved for distribution.
1. An athlete who was disciplined for pass infractions or other disciplinary issues in a host ski area such as breach of the Alpine Skier/Rider Responsibility Code or who has received sanctions by their PSO during the previous season will automatically be disqualified from purchasing the All Area Competitors Passes in future years.
2. Athletes who, during the course of the competition season discontinue participating in competitions or regularly scheduled training programs of their teams, except due to injury, must return their pass to the respective Provincial Governing Body forthwith; a prorated refund will be given less a nonâ€refundable handling charge. Failure to return these passes will be considered fraud and is just cause for prosecution.
Furthermore any governing body that does not properly monitor this issue or that knowingly allows athletes to continue using the pass against the above rule will jeopardize their eligibility for future competitors passes.
3. The Provincial Governing Bodies may disqualify an athlete for other disciplinary reasons besides pass infractions. The cancellation of the Allâ€Area Competitors Pass may be one of the disciplinary actions open to them.
List of Olympic, World Championship and World Cup Disciplines
ALPINE FREESTYLE SNOWBOARD
DOWNHILL MOGULS HALF PIPE
SUPER G DUAL MOGULS PARALLEL SLALOM/GIANT SLALOM
GIANT SLALOM AERIALS BOARDERCROSS
SLALOM HALF PIPE SLOPESTYLE
COMBINED SLOPESTYLE BIG AIR*
Note: * World Cup & World Championships only
Revised on July 2013